KJZZ is a service of Rio Salado College,
and Maricopa Community Colleges

Copyright © 2024 KJZZ/Rio Salado College/MCCCD
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

One wet winter won't save the Colorado River, but it still helps Phoenix

Arizona has had a wetter-than-normal winter so far.

In January alone, the National Weather Service says the Phoenix area was three degrees below normal on average, with more than an inch of rain recorded. 

All of that water doesn’t do much to help the dire situation on the Colorado River, which is drying up so fast the federal government is stepping in to demand massive cuts from all six states that use its water. 

Phoenix gets water from two main sources. About 60% of it comes from the Salt and Verde rivers, which are fed by snowpack in the mountains and on the Mogollon Rim. The other 40% or so comes from the Colorado River — and that’s where the state is likely facing big cuts. 

But it’s not all bad news.

The Show sat down with Cynthia Campbell, the water resources management advisor for the city of Phoenix, who said rain in the Valley and snow up north certainly helps boost at least one big part of the local water supply. 

More stories from KJZZ

Lauren Gilger, host of KJZZ's The Show, is an award-winning journalist whose work has impacted communities large and small, exposing injustices and giving a voice to the voiceless and marginalized.