KJZZ is a service of Rio Salado College,
and Maricopa Community Colleges

Copyright © 2024 KJZZ/Rio Salado College/MCCCD
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Q&AZ: Can you get an Arizona driver's license with a restricted out-of-state license?

Restricted driver's licenses can happen because of a variety of factors. 

Through KJZZ's  Q&AZ reporting project, a listener asked: What should I do if I'm moving to Arizona and have a restricted driver's license in my home state?

If the restriction resulted from a violation of insurance laws or DUI, you’d have to work with your home state’s motor vehicle division.

“Typically, you would need to address that scenario at the home state or the prior state. And the Arizona MVD would work with that state before you’re allowed to transfer the license or try to apply for a license here," said Bill Lamoreaux, a public information officer for the Arizona Department of Transportation.

“If you’re trying to move states, work with that local MVD or DMV first to say, ‘hey, I’m moving to Arizona, what can I, should I do?' And that state’s DMV or MVD would be able to tell that person what steps they need to take in order to get their license ported over to Arizona," he said.

Lamoreaux says MVDs across the country often communicate with each other.

Q&AZ answers more listener questions

Monica Navarro
Monica Navarro was an intern at KJZZ from August through December 2023.