The Arizona Department of Administration has approved a waiver request to allow $15 million in funding to be used for school safety personnel.
Late last week, the Arizona Department of Education identified $15 million in carryover dollars that could be used to pay for additional officers through the School Safety Program.
“It’s situations where we allocated money to schools and they didn’t get started right away,” Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Horne said. “There may have been a problem with the local police department didn’t have somebody available. Then eventually they got started, but there was left over money because they got started late. That’s what this is.”
That's a cumulative carryover for the life of the current grant going back to fiscal year 2022. ADE asked the state Department of Administration to waive a portion of state law that requires at least six weeks of public notice for grant application requests.
Now that the waiver is approved, schools can apply for funding for armed officers, school counselors and social workers. Priority will be given to requests for officers.
Horne said they saw an uptick in school threats over a span of 20 days in September.
“There have been 130 school threats,” he said, “[88] of them have been shooting threats or weapons in the school. That is really scary. I mean if you have that quantity of those kinds of threats, sooner or later something bad is gonna happen.”
Those numbers come from the Arizona Counter Terrorism Information Center. ACTIC reported that it received 177 school threats from Jan. 1, 2024, to Sept. 3, 2024. From Sept. 4, 2024, to Sept. 24, 2024, the ACTIC received over 130 school threats. Of those reports, 88 were shooting threats or weapons in school, eight were bomb threats, and eight were classified as general threats. The remaining threats were identified as duplicates or generic threats unrelated to a specific Arizona school.
Threats are daily occurrence, police say
Police are expressing alarm at the volume of threats of violence made against schools in recent weeks here and around the country. At a town hall in Scottsdale, law enforcement said the threats have become a nearly daily occurrence.
Phoenix police Executive Assistant Chief Derek Elmore said the department has checked out roughly 80 school threats since the academic year began.
"I think that part of it is the internet and the accessibility to the internet and then that the people keep propagating (the threat) by reposting it, so it becomes a new threat and then we have to investigate it all over again like it was all new again," Elmore said.
Scottsdale police say they have to treat each threat as legitimate. Last week, more than 40 officers swarmed Chaparral High School following a 911 call there that turned out to be a hoax.
-
When the Arizona School for the Deaf and Blind closed its Tucson campus in June, music teacher Kate Scally Howell was worried — and not just because the closure put her out of a job.
-
Republican lawmakers crafted an explanation of a measure to make major reforms in the voucher system in a way that is illegally designed to convince people to vote against it, a trial judge has ruled.
-
Schools across Arizona are starting back up for the year. Some start this week, while others have already been in class for a few days already. And despite the relative cooldown to start this week, it’s still plenty hot out.
-
Proponents of a ballot measure that would ban transgender students from using bathrooms that don’t match their biological sex want Arizona’s secretary of state to investigate a website opposing the measure.
-
A former leader of a Northern Arizona University fraternity pleaded guilty Monday to hazing and causing a pledge’s death by making him drink excessively at an off-campus rush event.